I am all about healthy eating but I also love chocolate and sweets too. I found this recipe for vegetarian-friendly, protein-packed cookies (no flour, no milk butter, no white sugar, no eggs) that came out so yummy I had to keep myself from eating all of them! The secret ingredient that holds it all together: chickpeas!
– One 16 oz can of chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry
– ½ cup + 2 tablespoon natural nutbutter of your choice (peanut, almond, sunflower seed, etc). Make sure there is no added sugar or salt
– ¼ cup honey or agave nectar
– 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1 pinch of salt
– 2 teaspoons vegetable protein powder (optional)
– ½ cup of dark chocolate chips
(To make this a totally vegan recipe use agave nectar and vegan chocolate chips)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F
2. Combine all the ingredients, except for the chocolate chips. You can use a regular blender or hand blender. Make sure the mixture is smooth and that there are no chunks of chickpeas left. I added the vegetable protein powder for extra protein and to help the mixture be less sticky and more like a dough.
3. Transfer mixture to separate bowl if necessary and mix in chocolate chips
4. Form 1½ inch balls with wet hands. Place onto a Silpat, piece of parchment paper or lightly greased cookie sheet. These cookies will not spread and rise like normal cookies so pat down on them in the shape you would like them to look.
6. Bake for about 10-12 minutes.
Enjoy with a glass of almond or soy milk! Next time I am going to add dark chocolate cocoa powder to make it extra chocolatey. Try it and let me know what you think!
*Note: I am not aware of the calorie content of these cookies. Nuts are high in calorie in fats (healthy fats). It also depends on the type of chocolate chips you use (dark vs milk). Many types of chocolate chips are made with sugar. This recipe does however minimize refined carbs and unsaturated fats and maximizes protein, making this cookie a healthier option. With anything I always advise moderation!