Superfoods are rich in nutrients, and of course, super healthy! Lentils are a type of bean that are both nutritious and delicious.
Benefits of Lentils:
Lentils are high in protein, fiber, iron, B vitamins and folate.
– Protein and fiber can help keep you full longer. Fiber also helps stabilize blood sugar and lower cholesterol.
– Folate is important for healthy fetal development. Low folate levels have been found to be low in many people who have depression, so your mood may benefit from added folate!
– Given the higher content of protein in lentils compared to other beans, it is a great way for vegetarians to get their daily source of protein.
How to cook Lentils
Daal is a common Indian dish made of lentils. Lentils can also be used instead of chickpeas to make hummus. Today we are bringing you a delicious lentil recipe from the Persian Empire called Adasi.
ADASI (Persian Lentil Stew) Recipe
– 2 cups dried brown lentils - washed and soaked in water for a few hours prior to cooking
– 1 large onion – finely chopped
– 3 Tbsp grapeseed or olive oil
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 1 tsp turmeric
– 4-5 cups water
– 1 Tbsp lemon juice
– 1 Tbsp plum or tamarind paste
- Fry the onions in the oil in a medium size pot on medium high- heat until golden.
- Strain the soaked lentils and add to the onions.
- Add the salt, pepper, turmeric and water. Make sure there is enough water to cover the lentils by about 2 inches.
- Cover the pot and cook on medium heat for 30-40 minutes. The lentils should be soft with consistency like a thick soup. Add more water if needed.
- Optional: For an added tinge of tanginess mix in the lemon juice or plum or tamarind paste.
- Add a little gratitude and enjoy alone or pair with rice or quinoa. Adasi can also be eaten cold as a dip with vegetables or pita chips.
Try this recipe out and let us know what you think!